Surf Life Saving’s Junior Activities (or ‘Nippers’) is a fun outdoor program that grows a child’s confidence, knowledge and skills in the beach environment. Not only will your child have fun and meet new friends, they will become part of an iconic organisation that has served the Australian community for over 100 years.
Every Sunday morning, from September to March, children come from all over the Redcliffe Peninsula and Brisbane to participate in Redcliffe Surf Lifesaving Club (SLSC) Nippers.
Our Suttons Beach location provides a safe and family-friendly environment to:
- educate children in all aspects of beach safety – basic first aid skills, surf education, sun safety
- develop skills in the surf and on the sand – flags, sprints, swimming, board paddling, wading and lots of FUN activities
- provides a healthy competitive environment – club competitions, and carnivals
- encourages all nippers to participate on a weekly basis – every Sunday morning of the season
2020/21 Season Information
The first day of the 2020/21 season is Sunday 13th September 2020.
Nippers is held every Sunday morning of the season, excluding a Christmas break (dates to be confirmed).
- Start time is 8:15am at our Sutton Beach clubhouse for announcements; beach activities start at 8:30am.
- Finish time is approximately 10.30 – 11.00am, depending on age groups and conditions.
To join Redcliffe Nippers
To join Redcliffe SLSC Nippers for the 2020/21 Season, your child must be 5 years old as of 30th September 2020. Nippers is open to children aged 5 to 13 years old.
Age group is determined as at midnight of the 30th September.
As it is a requirement that a parent, guardian or carer (18 years old & older) joins as a member with their child, Redcliffe SLSC offers family-friendly Nipper Family Memberships which include:
- Use of all club equipment at no additional charge
- NEW nipper cap and pink rashie
- Access to all club house facilities
To join Nipper activities each child is required to complete pool, beach and carnival proficiencies, which vary by age group. Proficiencies will be done upon arrival at Sign-On Days.
New and returning nipper families must attend one of our Sign-On Days to be held at the Redcliffe SLSC clubhouse on:
- Saturday 29 August 2020 from 9am – midday
- Sunday 6 September 2020 from 9am – midday
Nippers team leader:
Junior Activities Chairperson (JAC)
2020/21 Season Michelle Hall
The Junior Activities Chairperson (JAC) oversees the operation of the club’s junior activities programs which teaches critical beach safety skills to Nippers.
The JAC ensures the junior activities program meets the requirements for developing, nurturing and providing opportunities for Nippers so they have the skills and confidence to swim safely at the beach.
The age group that your child will be in is calculated to be the age they are as at the 30th September the year you are joining. For example, if your child was 11 on the 30th September (turning 12 on the 5th Oct) they are classed as being in the under 12 age group (even though they are 12).
- Each age group is assigned a volunteer age manager and assistant, who are usually parents of Nippers and young lifesaving members.
- At the start of every Sunday morning session, nippers are signed on to confirm their attendance
- Activities are split into 4 zones – Sprint, Swim, Flags & Board. The various age groups are rotated between each zone every 20 or 30 minutes.
- At the end of each Sunday morning session, nippers are signed off.
- Water safety volunteers ensure the safety of nippers while in the water.
- Age group cap (purchased from club)
- Hi-vis nipper vest (purchased from club)
- Long sleeve t-shirt or rash shirt
- Sun hat
- Water bottle
Nippers will only be cancelled in the event of severe weather – it is rare for nippers to be cancelled. Conditions may call for cancellation of water activities however beach activities and Surf Education may still be on. Changes to nipper events will be communicated by both Surfguard and Social Media at the earliest time possible.
We actively encourage strict adherence to SLSQ’s Sun Safety Policy.
There are a wide range of opportunities available for members interested in participating in surf lifesaving sport. Members from U8 to Seniors can compete in carnivals across the Branch. Carnivals will be advertised throughout the season.