NIPPER SIGN-ON CLOSED FOR 2023/24 SEASON
If you are interested to join our 2024/25 season we will open a mailing list in June/July 2024.
NIPPERS IS NOT A LEARN TO SWIM PROGRAM
- U8 – 25m Run/25m Wade/25m Run
- U9 & U10 – 50m Run/50m Swim/50m Run
- U11 & U12 – 50m Run/100m Swim/50m Run
- U13 & U14 – 100m Run/100m Swim/100m Run
2023/24 Family Membership Fees
- ONE vest and cap per Nipper, which must be worn at all times during Nippers
- Use of all club equipment, including boards
- Access to club facilities, including hot showers
- Surf education course
Our Family Membership fees for new families for the 2023/24 season are:
- 1 child up to 18 + up to 2 parents – $340
- 2 children up to 18 + up to 2 parents – $380
- 3 children up to 18 + up to 2 parents – $420
- Per additional child – $40
Valid FairPlay vouchers can be redeemed to contribute to membership fees.
The first day of the 2022/23 season is Sunday 8th October 2023.
- Our Nipper season starts on Sunday 8th October and is on every Sunday until mid-March, except for a Christmas break and if Nippers is cancelled due to carnival commitments.
- Nipper Sundays start at 8:15am. U6/U7 age groups finish by 10am and all other age groups finish between 10:30am and 11:00am.
- On a typical Sunday, Nippers rotate through a program of activities – Beach Flags, Beach Sprints, Boards, Swim (or Wade for U6 – U8s) and surf education. U6 and U7 age group activities are based on beach and water games.
- A parent or guardian MUST stay on the beachfront at all times while their child is signed in to Nippers.
The age group that your child will be in is calculated to be the age they are as at the 30th September the year you are joining. For example, if your child was 11 on the 30th September (turning 12 on the 5th Oct) they are classed as being in the under 12 age group (even though they are 12).
- Each age group is assigned a volunteer age manager and assistant, who are usually parents of Nippers and young lifesaving members.
- At the start of every Sunday morning session, nippers are signed on to confirm their attendance
- Activities are split into 4 zones – Sprint, Swim, Flags & Board. The various age groups are rotated between each zone every 20 or 30 minutes.
- At the end of each Sunday morning session, nippers are signed off.
- Water safety volunteers ensure the safety of nippers while in the water.
- Age group cap (purchased from club)
- Hi-vis nipper vest (purchased from club)
- Long sleeve t-shirt or rash shirt
- Sun hat
- Water bottle
Nippers will only be cancelled in the event of severe weather – it is rare for nippers to be cancelled. Conditions may call for cancellation of water activities however beach activities and Surf Education may still be on. Changes to nipper events will be communicated by both Surfguard and Social Media at the earliest time possible.
We actively encourage strict adherence to SLSQ’s Sun Safety Policy.
There are a wide range of opportunities available for members interested in participating in surf lifesaving sport. Members from U8 to Seniors can compete in carnivals across the Branch. Carnivals will be advertised throughout the season.